Saturday, June 16, 2012

Daw Aung San Su Kyi regarding the current conflict in Rakhine state.

photo-AP
Here is the verbatim transcript of Q&A between journalists and Daw Aung San Su Kyi regarding the current conflict in Rakhine state.

Swedish Daily:
My question concerned on the situation in the Rakhine state, the ongoing violence if I may. Now that 28 people dead and the violence seemed to be more intensive. How aware are you that this violence would escalate and have an impact on the democratic development in Burma and what do you think should be done in order to protect the Muslim community form discrimination which is one reason for the conflict? Thank you.

Daw Aung San Su Kyi:
Of course I am concerned as I think everybody else in Burma is about the present situation in Rakhine. I think the most important lesson we need to learn is the need for the rule of law. We have said again and again, my party the National League for Democracy, that rule of law is essential if we are to put an end to all conflicts in the country. Everybody must have access to the protection of the law, and of course they also have duties to abide by the laws of the land. So without rule of law, such communal strikes will only continue and the present situation will have to be handled with delicacy and sensitivity and we need the corporation of all people concerned to regain the peace back we want for our country. You also mention about the Kachin state I think. Hostilities in the Kachin state. I understand that there are negotiations between the government the KIO with the regard to ceasefire. I just want to underline that fact that a ceasefire is not enough. In the end we have to have a political settlement, if there is to be the kind of peace that will be lasting and meaningful.


Norwegian Television:
Do you accept the Rohingyas as Myanmarnese citizen?

Daw Aung San Su Kyi:
I said earlier that what we need is rule of law in the country we need very clear and precise laws with regards to citizenship to begin with. But I would like to mention here a very practical problem that we have to resolve in the Rakhine state. I think one of the greatest problems comes from the fear on both sides of the border, that is to say Bangladesh as well as Myanmar, that there will be illegal immigrant crossing all the time, this is due to the porous border. I think we need more responsible and in-corrupt border vigilance.



Bloomberg News:
I am Jennifer Friedman with Bloomberg News, I have two quick questions, and I like to know should the Rohingya have citizenship and secondly do you feel that TOTAL and Chevron should pull out of the ventures with Myanmar oil and gas enterprise? Thank you.

Daw Aung San Su Kyi:
As to the first question, I have already said that this should be resolved in accordance with rule of law because we have to be very clear about what the laws of citizenship are and who are entitled to them and to all those who are entitled to citizenship should be treated as full citizens deserving all the rights that must be given to them.

As to the first question, I have already said that this should be resolved in accordance with rule of law because we have to be very clear about.

True Novel
Battle in Myanmar
Download Myanmar Ebook

No comments:

Post a Comment